This Whole30 instant pot cashew chicken tastes like the familiar Chinese takeout we all love, but in a better-for-you, Whole30, Paleo, gluten-free version that only takes 30 minutes. No more waiting for your delivery full of MSG! This instant pot paleo cashew chicken is a family friendly meal, I promise even those who don't adhere to a real food diet will love it.
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp minced ginger (fresh)
- 1/8 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1/3 cup cashews
- Sliced green onions, for garnish
- Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- Use kitchen shears to cut all excess fat off the chicken thighs. Then cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Place them in the Instant Pot.
- Add in the pepper, soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, ginger and red pepper. Stir to really coat the chicken with the sauce.
- Cover the Instant Pot and make sure the valve is set to “sealing.” Set the manual timer to 8 minutes on high pressure. When the timer goes off do a quick release.
- Once you can remove the lid, do so. In a small bowl stir together the cornstarch and water. Stir the slurry into the instant pot. Turn the Instant Pot to the saute function. The sauce will thicken in just a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the cashews. Serve chicken topped with green onions and toasted sesame seeds.
- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot for this recipe.